I bought a welcome mat today but it says it in Welsh. Will cut this up to make patches of grass for my battle field.
Also bought more scouring pads to make more acacia trees.
I have also had some pieces of framing backing cardboard from my framer today which I will use to make the tracks and river beds, bu painting with burnt umber acrylics and then glueing sand and scatter on them. Must visit the beach tomorrow to collect more.
Will also be ordering 15 acacia tress but may make some more my self. 4D modelshop.co.uk which is based in London.
I PVA glued my acacia trees to cardboard to give them more stability. Must blue sand and scatter to those next.
Found some excellent stone chippings in the garden today and have cleaned them , ready to glue to the scenery.
I have dug out an old rock outcrop I made many years ago out of clay, and painted it.
I have resurrected old acacia trees which I made out of wire lengths and modrock wrapped round the trunks and branches. I have pulled apart kitchen scourers and with PVA glue, glued flock to the scourers to make the foliage of the tree.
Hills and ridges are made of polystyrene, painted with burnt umber acrylic and then glued with PVA and various scatter applied. Included sand from the beach. I found there was no need for painting and dry brushing.
At the moment a load of polystyrene ridges and hills are drying. These will give me ground features on my battle field which was the Rhodesian Bundu.
I also made a Baobab tree but would like to improve on it.
I also have an old Kraal in a box so this will add to the scene.
Dirt roads and dry rivers are the next items to be made.
I recently bought Aircraft Bases with magnetic rods.
I based the resin bases on to card to give them more stability with the heavier 28mm Eureka G-cars.
I painted the resin base with a dark earth colour and then with PVA glue, glued sand and fine rocks to the base. I found these looked good enough for African terrain, without painting. I later glued dry grass to the bases.
You will have to buy washers to glue to the bottom of your aircraft, so the magnetic end can attache to it. I struggled to find smaller washers in B&Q but I will try a local hardware store next for my smaller aircraft.
Extract description from the S & S Models site for this product:-
There are quite a few gamers who like to have their aircraft flying over the table so we designed these bases.
They are made to look like a tree stump and have a 9mm hole drilled in them to accept a standard telescopic & magnetic rod from one of those magnetic pick up tools often found in car tools shops for picking nuts ect from inaccessible places.
Magnetic rod supplied
I have now completed my three 1st Wave sticks for an RAR Fire Force.
Eureka 28mm figures
Still need to add telehands to the two African stick leaders. Telehands high on left shoulder.
Any spare figures left over from my packs will be converted to make troops for the back of my vehicles. Pilots will make good vehicle riders once head changed, joy stick removed and an MAG or FN in the shoulder.
Jumbo Fire Force.
With the advent of Jumbo Fire Forces in 1979 three extra G-cars or two SAAF Puma helicopters created extra 1st Wave capability. This had come about because of the deployment of AB 205s (Cheetah) in the Special Forces roll thus freeing up more G-cars. SA also made Puma helicopters available during this period. SA Forces by deploying parabats and SAAF, in one way learned from Rhodesia experience in the field.
I have just spent today completing the Eureka 28mm K-car model. Very nice!
See attached a series of photographs showing how it was put together and painted.
Eureka 28mm G-car model.
As mentioned earlier I am doing these G-cars in their last format with twin brownings and front seats removed and replaced with light weight bench facing backwards.
Bench made from spare resin bench cut in half and backed with plastic card and glued into place.
The crew wear one piece flight suites which came in the plain light green colour or in Rhodesian camouflage. Much favoured by Rhodesian paratroopers.but some crew would wear shorts and Rhodesian camouflage combat jacket and trousers and others would wear shirts and shorts.
Kosta an opportunity to do a crew variation by doing bare legs for Tech air gunner.
Note I have added miliput to Tech to show body armour.
Note mix of colours on crew unifoms. See photographs.
Black and white photos show an earlier G-car with single browning or MAG mounts but demonstrates crew uniforms of the period. This is an RAR Fire Force with African troops shown. Other photo of swarm shows late crews preparing.
I have just started up grading my G-car sticks to RAR troops and changing to the appropriate poses for trooping in helicopters.
Hats removed and in stuffed in shirts.
Weapons in laps pointing out of the helicopter.
Stick leader with head set on to listen to pilot and the talk on to the target. Also a tele hand attached to left side of webbing, high so that stick leader only had to angle head and using left hand to press pressel switch to listen to transmissions. The stick leader could still use his FN in his right hand while using his radio. Both were made and shaped from milliput.
RAR usually wore full kit so all wearing trousers. A blob of resin glue to create trousers bottoms.
My spare African heads put on the new figures
I will have to buy extra packs of G-car crews but I will use my extra MAG Gunners as per the latest lists.